Sunday, June 22, 2008

names, identities, truths

Oh, time, where have you gone? This weekend was one of the most introspective weekends I've had in a good long while, and although it hurt a little, truth and joy were the juices I extracted when all was said and done. Regarding this blog, these are the things I realized:
  • I was trying to be someone else rather than just plain old me.
  • I was too caught up in being/looking professional, when in reality the best approach is to just, as I said, be me.
  • The name is not Julie enough. Who's Jane, anyway? If I ever get published, the name is going to be Juliette Pafoofnic, and that is final. Jane is a faceless doll in the nether-regions of my mind, not a real person.
Those things being said, here is the birth of what is my real fashion blog. Here is what it will be about today...

If I could be any celebrity, I would be Zooey Deschanel. Why? She's classy, she's unorthodox, she loves vintage, she's talented, she's real, she has electric eyes, and her name is part of a Salinger title. She is all spark and all woman. Here are a few visual examples:


^Although, they air-brushed her left arm. (see it?) Why? She's a stick-figure as it is! Bah. Oh well...still a pretty photo. I LOVE the dress.

and one more,



Here are some specifically cinematic examples:
1. She was great at being rebellious and high-looking in "Almost Famous". And you've got to smile and giggle at that stewardess outfit.
2. Her character's singing voice in "Elf" was not dubbed over. That was her.
3. Even though it's a kids' film, I really liked her role in "Bridge to Terabithia". *sigh...that movie reminded me a LOT of how I was as a kid.
4. I looooved her character in "Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy"...and who else could look cuter in bright blue go-go shorts?
5. Ok ok ok, "The New Guy" was a duuuumb movie, but at least her voice was real in all the singing parts. Oh well.
6. Even though "The Good Girl" depressed me to no end, it was a very difficult piece to act and both she and Jenn did a stellar job. Art is not always pretty, I suppose.

I can't imagine what it'd be like to have my life written out on Wikipedia (because I read about Zooey's on there and I started feeling a little stalkerish even though it was public information). Hooray for celebrity lives. At least we can enjoy the fashion! :)

p.s. unrelated to fashion but still important are the new albums out by the following bands/artists... find! listen!
  • coldplay
  • the black keys
  • aimee mann
  • sigur ros
  • death cab for cutie
  • jakob dylan
  • the zutons
  • my morning jacket
  • old 97's
Not saying they're all the greatest, but they're still important! Often, to listen is to know.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

jah... I watched "The Happening" last week and Zooey's makeup is perfect. I thought of you the whole time because I knew you'd appreciate her.